Spring is in full swing and it’s the best time of the year, because April is Arizona’s Bike Month! There’s plenty to celebrate as we get outside, ride, and come together as a community. As one of the most bike-friendly cities in the Phoenix area, Tempe has some wonderful bike events for you to participate in. Here are five ways you can ride along and celebrate Bike Month:
Tour De Tempe – Sunday April 7, 7:30am
Join more than 1,000 riders at the 23rd annual Tour de Tempe Community Bike Ride from 7:30 to 11:00am on Sunday April 7, at Kiwanis Park, 6111 S. All-American Way. This free, 12-mile ride starts at 9am and check-in starts at 7:30am. Riders can get free breakfast, coffee, and t-shirts! Helmets are required and riders should bring water. Register online though April 4.
Bike To Work Day – Wednesday April 17, 6:30am
The first 350 bike riders can stop by one of seven locations during Tempe’s 27th annual Bike to Work Day, from 6:30am to 8am on Wednesday April 17, and get a free breakfast and t-shirt. At 7am, riders can also join City Council members on a bike ride from Whole Foods Market to Daily Jam in downtown Tempe.
- Back East Bagels (northwest corner of Southern Avenue and McClintock Drive)
- Boulders on Broadway (northeast corner of Roosevelt Street and Broadway Road)
- Breyer Law Group (Daley Park, northeast corner of College Avenue and Encanto Drive)
- Daily Jam, formerly Ncounter (southwest corner of Mill Avenue and Third Street)
- Kiwanis Recreation Center (on All America Way north of Guadalupe Road)
- Steve’s Espresso (southeast corner of McClintock Drive and Baseline Road)
- Whole Foods Market (northwest corner of Rural and Baseline roads)
Arizona Bike Summit – Friday April 5, 9am
Check out the Arizona Bicycling Summit happening on April 5, from 9am to 3pm. Educators, planners, public health professionals, and cyclists discuss current and upcoming bike projects in Arizona. Visit this website for more info.
Nominate A Bike Hero – (all month)
Do you know someone who makes biking better in Tempe? Nominate them to be the 2019 Tempe Bike Hero. Nominations are accepted through April 30. Nominees must live, work, or operate a business in Tempe. Nominate your hero here!
Free Week Of GRID – (all month)
Get a free seven day GRID pass by visiting gridbikes.com and using promo code GRID2WORK2019. Tempe has more than 215 miles of on-street bike lanes and multi-use paths. The city is designated a Gold Level Bicycle Friendly Community by the League of American Bicyclists.
Happy Bike Month! Be sure to take advantage of these great, free bike activities.
All information from tempe.gov/BikeMonth.